четвъртък, юли 06, 2006

22 down.

Well today hasn't been the best birthday ever, but it hasn't been the worst either so it aint so bad. A quick wrap-up of the last week (My first out on my own in Bulgaria):

Friday we had out official swearing in ceremony in Sofia, Bus schedules being what they are I couldn't stay in the capital and celebrate with my friends that night. I made a quick exit to the bus station and caught my 7 hour bus ride to Topolovgrad (hereafter refered to as Turkmenistan.)

Saturday: I stared at the 4 walls of my bare concrete block apartment (I must admit I dont see the benifits of building EVERYTHING out of one material). Realized I am completely alone.

Sunday: Felt a little sick. Realized ALL the stores AND restaurants in my little town are closed on sundays. Was very hungry. Went for a walk in the rain. Found plums. Ate quite a few.

Monday: Felt very sick. Ran some errands, bought some things for the bare apartment. Went to Haskovo (the regional center) and applied for my identity card. Spent 4 hours in beurocratic red tape, with a fever. Went home with high fever and slept.

Tuesday: Called the PC doctors at 6am with a 103.6 fever. Lotts of stuff happened after this, but suffice to say that @7pm I had some medicine and a diagnosis (strep throat.)

Wednesday: The wonders of modern medicine, I start to feel better. Stayed in bed all day, drank grape juice.

Today: Feeling 80% Went to school, they had a little party for me. A cute speech, cake, a present from the school, and a song. Had coffee with some of the few people in town who know me. I got a ton of (maybe 10) emials, phone calls, and text messages from other volunteers and people in the states, made me feel great. Found Dyuners(gyros) in town. Im a very happy content boy.

Its been a rough week, but things are getting better. Im settling into my apartment, cleaning, painting, and making it look nice. Im cooking again after 3 months away, i forgot how theraputic it is.

Those who feel like it are highly encouranged to pray for joy and encourgement as they have been hard to come by lately.