понеделник, юли 24, 2006

Whats going on....

I have been really busy these last two weeks in Topolovgrad. Things have been going much better. Im really enjoying having the freedom to cook for myself again. Im adapting to cooking for one. Its a strange and not really enjoyable sensation to cook and not have anyone to share it with. Here is my take on a Bulgarian dish, Pile sus oriz (Chicken and Rice)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I went for a hike the other day to this group of anciant Thracian houses "dolums" they are pretty spiffy. They remind me of houses in the Flintstones cartoons.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last weekend I went to a conferance in the city of Sliven that was put on by the International Organization for Migration. It was supposed to be an educational seminar on how to do projects and education regarding Migration and Human trafficking. Unfortunatly it wasnt very informative, and became more of a "networking" weekend. It was good anyways because I got to see alot of my PC friends, and meet alot of really proactive Bulgarians who are working in their communites to affect real change. And I got alot of ideas for things I can do in Topolovgrad and in my classes. We also got to ride a chairlift up (part of) the Balkan mountains that sliven is nestled up against.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last Monday and Tuesday I got to help out with a summer day camp in my town. It was alot of fun; I got to meet alot of the younger kids in the town and play games like Sharks and minnows and capture the flag, Bulgarian Style. It was a good reminder of how kids are pretty much the same the world over. Really made me excited for my time here. Here are some pictures from Topolovgrad.

The local Yasovir (resivore [sp?])
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunset from my balcony
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


On Friday I went to the Black Sea coast for a weekend peace corps gathering. Unfortunatly I forgot my camera, but you can trust me it was beautifull. I swam, sunbathed, and there was even a bonfire at night with marshmalllows and vodka (this is bulgaria after all.) I met alot of volunteers from earlier groups, who I hadn't really gotten a chance to meet. My circle of friends gradually grows the longer im here, and makes it a little easier knowing more people who are in the same boat as me.

Basically im trying to fill my days and enjoy my new life. Its very hard sometimes but im making the best of it. This week you can be praying for oportunities to open up in this town, and the opening of peoples hearts. There is significant small town political squabling going on right now, and alot of people here arent to thrilled that im here. Its not connected to me, america, or the peace corps, but it does affect me alot, and i find myself wondering if I couldnt be more effective somewhere else.

1 Comments:

At 1:13 сл.об., Blogger Super Z said...

Nolan, I want more posts!!! You haven't posted in 3 weeks!!! Where are you? Tell us how you are and what's goin' on.

 

Публикуване на коментар

<< Home