четвъртък, май 24, 2007

Throw Something

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The school year. My first school year, is coming to an end. I also recently passed my one year anniversary in Bulgaria. So many things to feel and no desire to actually be feeling them.

Last night was the prom for my 12th graders, yes teachers attend these things here. Of course being Bulgaria EVERYONE was drunk. The (ex)Students tried their best to get me to a hospital from alcohol poisening. Luckily I have learned enough in this country about drinking without drinking. I did dance for hours. I did enjoy the way that the newly liberated youths seemed to forget the disfunctional relationship we had all year. There were tearfull thank yous, apologies for mental torment, and professions of love. Magically with the lubrication of whiskey I heard more english from some students than I could ever pull from them in class. As debaucherous as it sounds, it was another reasurance that I am having an effect on kids, even if im not seeing it. I got home at 5 this morning and had one of the most relaxing sleeps I have had in the past year.

I know that I dont update much, to the 3 people who read this im sorry about that.
What I have been up to:

Baseball Club Бейсбол Клуб
Several nights a week I coach baseball with about 20 local kids. Baseball is kind of an exotic sport here so we have an interesting group of kids. Most of them arent my students, which is great, and we have kids from 4th grade up to 11th. I never realized how complicated baseball is, and exlplaining it has been a blast for my bulgarian language skills. The basics were simple enough, but I still cant get them not to run on a fly ball, or to understand a pickle. Its usually the highlight of my day and no one has died so I guess its a success.

Spring Break Пролетна Почифка
For spring break I had 8 days free and decided to travel to Romania. It was beautifull and definetly more "european" than Bulgaria. However I didnt really like the people or the culture that much. I kept finding myself wishing I was back in Bulgaria, something that shouldnt happen on such a short vacation. Sign that this place is growing on me? Definetly.

Sigishoara, Transylvania
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sibiu, Transylvania
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sleepy Saxon House
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Best place to have an eastern european train transfer. Copsa Mica, Romania
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I have also been up to lots of other odds and ends. This summer Pravetz will get 2 new volunteers. My friend Marcy is transfering here and a fresh newbie will be moving next month. I will definetly not be at want of friends to spend time with, at the same time im a bit unsure. This was always "my" town. I was the Volunteer, and I had to make an effort to make bulgarian friends. Its definetly going to change my volunteer experience but probably for the better. They are both great people and no one ever said that you had to suffer like a hermit to be a good volunteer and do the things you wanted when you signed up for this adventure.

The weather was getting quite hot, but for the last week it has rained and thundered every day strait. Im planning on procuring a tent and attempting to see as much of the country as possible this summer. And of course there is the trip to Ukraine and the visit from the family so I couldnt be more excited for the summer.

1 Comments:

At 8:17 сл.об., Blogger Алекс said...

so this is what you've been doing all day.. well you better put more effort into updating this blog more often during the summer because the way things have been going, it looks like it's gonna be the only way to "hear from you".. и аз ще се помъча да спре да ми пука. no hard feelings, have a great summer.

 

Публикуване на коментар

<< Home