четвъртък, септември 07, 2006

My Inner Mexican

Yesterday was Unification Day in Bulgaria. It celebrates the unification of the modern bulgarian state with south bulgaria which had been a puppet government of the Ottoman empire.

I went with a fellow teacher to her famlies orchard in a traditional village pretty high up in the mountains. We went to pick plums (sleevy) in order to make Rakiya, Bulgaria's national drink. I picked about 110 kilograms (I ate a few kilos also) in the few hours we were picking. It was a big family affair with the entire extended family there. One of the uncles commented that i was a quick picker, and in my head I couldn't help but laugh at all the times mom would tell me I was "hecho en Mexico" (Made in Mexico) I guess im part mexican after all.

After we filled the entire truck with plums we had a huge Picnic and I took a cat nap in the sun. All in all it was a great day, and I came home tired and feeling good about being exactly were I am.

On the way to the Village
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My love affair with Russian cars continues....
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Truck (1979 Tatra, Poland) that we filled with over 900kilos of plums.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A Balkan Orchard
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting